Tips for how to pest control your home. No one likes pests crawling around their home so we want to tell you how to pest control your home as there are many simple things you can do to keep pests out of your house.
Reduce food sources inside your home
Most people don’t like crickets and roaches in their home but there’s another reason for you to keep them out of your house. Black widow spiders and scorpions see crickets and roaches as a food source and they will often follow them into your home. It’s simple. Keep your home free of crickets and roaches and you’ll increase your chances of staying free of scorpions and black widows.
Some other things to do inside your home are just common sense, such as wiping up food spills on counters and floors. All food in your pantry and cabinets should be kept in tightly sealed containers so pests can’t get access. If you have a pet, you may not want to keep food out for them all the time as pests are not picky about what they eat.
Things to do outside your home
Instead of giving pests an open invitation, make them work to get inside your home. Follow these tips to reduce the chances of critters gaining access.
- Clean up debris around your home and yard, such as piles of leaves, wood and branches.
- Keep your shrubs and plants trimmed up and watch that they don’t touch the roof, foundation or sides of your house.
- Trim away all dead or decaying leaves and branches from your landscaping as roaches LOVE decaying plants.
- Do not over water your yard and make sure you don’t have any leaks in your irrigation system or outside faucets as all pests love standing water.
- Seal cracks and holes around the foundation of your home, including windows and doors. Rule of thumb-if you can see daylight coming in then pests can come in too.
- Seal holes around pipes or wires (both indoor and outdoor).
- Repair weather stripping around doorways.
- Paint, seal or protect exposed wood from the elements as many pests like to feed on decaying wood so before painting or sealing, fill in all cracks and nail holes with plastic wood or putty.
- Keep lights on at night outside your house as roaches and scorpions don’t like light.
- Store firewood and lumber away from your home.
- Keep your garage and/or crawlspace free of clutter as pests like to munch on ANYTHING, including cardboard boxes and whatever is inside. Pests also see the clutter as the perfect place to settle down and build a nest.
Pests can get through extremely small openings so be very thorough in your inspection and if you’re wondering if they could get through an opening-fix it as the answer is probably YES! Also, pests are often food sources for other pests so keeping out smaller pests will hopefully keep their prey away as well.
These are all easy things for how to pest control your home so go through the list and get started today. If you don’t provide easy access to pests, they will likely move on to the next home to set up shop.BLOG COMMENTS POWERED BY DISQUS